Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Hair



Check out Keller's response to the question from the "Culture" blog entry on Wednesday, Mary 23. Would love to hear from more of you. Let the creative juices flow. Poems, reflections, short stories, photographs are all welcomed. Email or submit them by hand to Lanecia. Be blessed!

Lanecia asked me to read 2 Corinthians 5 and then listen to the ever-so-familiar song, "I Am Not My Hair" by India.Arie. My take on this was interesting to kind of find a connection between them.

Most people are now aware that I cut my hair for women, Jane especially, that have to go through chemotherapy because of breast cancer. Certain parts of the song really spoke to me after I cut my hair,such as the chorus, which states "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am not your expectation, no. I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within." Some people have had negative reactions to my hair, such as mistaking me for a boy or calling me Britney Spears. None of these people really know me or why I cut my hair. It really made me think of
all the times I judged someone because of the way they wore their hair.

2 Corinthians 5:7 states "We live by faith, not by sight." To me, this means that we should not judge with our eyes, but really get to know a person, and by faith, love them for who they are and what they stand for. "We are therefore are Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us." 2 Cor 5:20

The end of the song also spoke to me. "Breast cancer, chemotherapy. Took away her crown and glory. She promised God that if she'd survive, she would enjoy every day of her life. On national television, her diamond eyes all sparklin'. Bald headed like a full moon shinin', singin' out to the whole wide world...(chorus)" I don't really know what going through chemo feels like, I know that it is a very hard and long road. I do also know that it's hard to have people staring at you, whispering to their friends, "Oh my gosh, do you see that girl? Look at her hair!" It's very difficult, but I know in some ways what chemotherapy patients go through.

How do you deal with it?

2 Cor 5:6 "Therefore, we are always confident..." That is my answer.

No comments: