


By Sr. High Youth, E. P.
Hopefully you have heard about the Jena 6, in Jena, LA. If not, here is a brief overview: Racism has always existed in Jena, LA, but this has only recently become known to most people. Last year at Jena High School, the white kids always sat under a tree outside during lunch, breaks, etc. They deemed it the "white tree". One hot day, a black student wanted to sit under the tree, for shade. He asked the principal if he could, and the principle had no problem with it. So the student, and a couple of friends sat down. The next day 3 nooses were found hanging from the tree. The 3 white kids who did this were only given three days of ISS. A while later six black students beat up a white student. Now these six (Jena 6) are on trial facing various punishments. (to read about the may other incidents leading up to this, : google "Jena 6", wikipedia and cnn.com have good articles)
The real problem is that we took care of racial injustice legally, but it still exists socially, unfortunately. It is so awful thinking that people could have sooo many problems in their lives that they have to lash out at something so ridiculous as skin color. Like bullies: they have so many problems in their own lives that they have to take it out on something/someone else. It is so hard for me to imagine even thinking in that way, because I was not alive before the civil rights movement (as most of us weren't). I have never really understood the reason that racism exists. In my mind it is the equivalent to hating all people with curly hair, or blue eyes.
To show my support for equality, I did something very new last Thursday. I got up at 6:00 and Lanecia came to pick me up at 6:30. We drove downtown, and met up with, Ciona, Hannah and Keller, and Hamilton United Methodist's youth pastor Amanda. We went to Bicentennial Mall, close to the capitol building. We walked for justice . . . from the park to the capitol building (or somewhere around there). We had a police escort, and channel 5 news was there. We gave Nashville a small taste of what was going on in Jena.
After I got to school, we had an assembly about this issue, and I learned a bit more about this situation. The noose incident was even more offensive than most of us would have thought. According to Coach Pittman (my history teacher last year), about 50-60 years ago, in the south, young African Americans could be taken from their homes and hung. So it was a very offensive thing for these students to do, and even more offensive is how the school board brushed it off like it was nothing.
On the walk, a small rock got in my shoe. I tried to walk a while with it in, and I just tried to make it go to the front of my shoe, where I couldn't feel it. I eventually had to stop, step to the side and try to get it out. I was in a hurry, because I didn't want to get separated from my friends. I walked a little more and realized that the rock was still in my shoe. At this point I was getting quite frustrated, so I stopped again and made sure I got it out. Throughout the day, I realized how much this story relates to racism. Racism in our country began early, with slavery. We lived with it for a while, then we realized that it was hurting people, and made laws against it. We thought that we got rid of it, because many of us were not affected personally by it. Now we have realized that it is not gone; it was just an illusion. This time around, we need to extract it completely from our systems, not just legally, but in our hearts.
I really liked how when Amanda was talking about the so-called “white” tree she said, "that tree looks pretty green to me".
Read 2 Corinthians 5:11-21.
14For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
Since this is a rather long passage, I would like to focus on 14-15. It says that Christ's love compels us to believe that he died for all. Not just people with blonde hair, or green eyes, or old or young people, or mean or nice, but ALL people. People means anyone that is human, deriving from the Latin word homo, which means "man or human being". I think that this passage makes it pretty clear that we are all equal when it comes down to the really important stuff, and therefore we should all think of each other as equals in everyday life.
Questions to reflect on:
1. How do you interpret 2 Corinthians 5:11-21?
2. If you knew about it, what did you do to support the Jena 6, on Thursday?
3. Do you have any ideas about how to support equality, and justice, and wipe out racism once and for all? If so, what are they?
If the Creator of the Universe made ALL humankind, in his image at that!, I have an idea that he didn't mess up, no matter what others say.
9 comments:
fantastic job, erin!!
-Hannah
Love it, Erin! PREACH IT, GIRL! hahha
Erin-
Thank you for your inspiring essay. Your insights and questions are ones we all need to be addressing and struggling with...
Peace,
Becky E
Erin, thank you for your reflections. It is a gift when words not only describe but inspire and call persons to change. You have that gift.
blessings, KLO
after posting I realized I didn't address any of your relevant and challenging questions... which is part of your point. I knew about Jena 6 and forgot to even where green (or black). I chose not to join the Facebook group because I didn't know enough about the situation but then didn't take the time to do the research. I'm still ignoring the pebble in my shoe. But thanks to you it will be irritating me all day! thank you.
Wow! From one parent to another, the challenge is to always wonder if we are raising our children in a way that they will be an inspiration to others and their influence will be a positive one. I must say that if our daughters paths (and our families for that matter) had not crossed, our lives would have been different. For all of the tears that you shed and the questioning of "is this the right place for our girls to be?", their influence on our community and the world around us is tremendous. Thank you for the gift of their insight of the love of Christ and the openess of their love for everyone. They are transforming lives everyday and I am thankful to be a part of the community. Erin, thanks for your words of wisdom. I know I couldn't have said it better.
Continue to share your thoughts.
From Connie R.
Erin,
I am Lanecia's mom. I never tell who I am whenever I comment on either Lanecia's or Ciona's blogs because I try not to embarrass them if I can help it. :) Today I had to.
You see, for seventeen years we placed our girls in cross-racial appointments where kids picked on them at times, hazed them (more Lanecia than Ciona)and said mean things to them, just because their father was at "that big White church." I cried at times more than they did.
We went to the schools constantly in junior high school to complain - that was the most intense of all the years - but somehow we couldn't stop it. they just had to live through it.
While I hoped for acceptance from all, I had lived long enough to expect that some of the White students might react negatively just because of what their parents may have taught them. However, when I had to go to the principal's office because a Black student tried to slam a locker shut on Lanecia or push her down the stairs just because her father was answering the call from God, it made me want to regurgitate from my toes! You see, it was a clear indication that somehow our black students had begun to believe the negativity, they had bought into the degradation and somehow it had created a kind of self-loathing. To believe that Lanecia or Ciona thought that they were better than another black child because their father was at a predominantly White church meant that Lanecia and Ciona would have had to believe that white is better than black. To be taunted for being in honors classes or to be ridiculed for speaking correctly was something I could not comprehend. So, Lanecia and Ciona were affected by racism, from both blacks and whites. That hurt me to the core, to think that the racism I had experienced and fought against all my life from some whites, had now become so strong that it had contaminated the black race so much so that the black children were now perpetrators thereof.
I wondered if things would ever get better, if your generation would one day see that it is truly a sin to hate, especially since we as adults are often such bad role models.
I also wondered if the optimism and open-mindedness that we had taught Lanecia and Ciona, the consciousness and love for all humanity that only God could have imparted, and the way we had reared them in color-blind situations, would impair them for life and teach them a false sense of reality.
It never did. They know who and Whose they are and it is because of that knowledge that they are able to love so deeply, openly and fairly.
I prayed when Lanecia went into Belmont, I must tell you, because I love her so, and Ciona, that I wanted an easier life and ministry for her than the one she had grown up with. I wondered if Belmont could be that place for her, that soft place to land in God arms.
Then I hear all the enthusiasm and love with which she speaks about you, all the kind and generous things that you have done for my daughter, the way you have loved and embraced her and Ciona and I am humbled by God's goodness and mercy.
Then Erin, Lanecia e-mailed this morning and told me just to read what you had written on the Belmont UMC's youth blog. She said that she hoped it would be a blessing to me. I cried when I read it.
Perhaps I am wrong but I am assuming that you are white, yet you feel just as I do and I am black. Somehow God has used you, dear one, and you have transcended color and are able to look with the eyes of God at human beings as if they are you and you are they. Your sensitivity and insight are remarkable and could only come from One who is much greater than we could ever be.
It may have been you being yourself, Erin just being Erin, and the article may have just been something you wrote because Lanecia asked you to write it and it truly is what you believe. However, I want you to know that God has used you in a phenomenal way. As Jesus told Peter and I paraphrase, "Flesh and blood could not have revealed these things to you. Only God could have."
Erin, never depart from who you are. Always look with the eyes of God and see the truth beneath and beyond, see the humanity and commonality that binds us and tear down the walls that separate us. You clearly have a gift with words. It is a powerful tool. Continue to use it in ways that will inspire and challenge us to be who we claim to be - children, brothers and sisters, of a most high God.
If it is alright with you, I write an article each month for the SC UM ADVOCATE newspaper. I would love to print your article as a commentary for next month.
No, Erin, the harvest is not complete as evidenced by the Jena 6 and the workers are few, but God only needs a few good youth who can reach one and then let that one reach one and that one reach one and before we know it, you will have changed a generation and ultimately the world. God just needs a few good men and women, like you, to lead the way!
God bless you, Erin, as you have blessed me.
Humbly submitted for your editing. :) :) :)
MOM
If ever you thought I was long-winded, now you know that I came by it genetically. :) whew . . .
Thanks for sharing this experience with us, Erin! It was special having you and the other ladies there. And thanks for writing this. You definitely keep the spirit of what we did alive in this message.
mrs. rouse,
i would be more than honored if you used my article. you are welcome to any and all of it. you are right, i am white, but i do (obviously) feel the same as you do.
i don't know if you remember, but in NYC (for the choir trip) we met, and i think you talked with my mom, lori, for a while.
thanks so much for your comments! it made me cry! ;-)
eep
Post a Comment