Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Reflection by Sarah


One of the weekly rituals of the youth group and youth volunteers is to name where we've seen God recently. As a result of activities with the youth, I have seen God in a new place: in the children of the Golden Triangle Fellowship.

God loves these children. He has saved them from bad situations. He has brought them to us. He is in their midst. He is within them.

Once a month or so some members of the youth group and youth volunteers play with the children in the living room of a family of the Golden Triangle Fellowship. The basics of our time together are crayons, paper, stickers, smiles, trust, and song. In that living room, all of us present are reminded we are family, though we come from different countries and parents. They are not paralyzed by fear and mistrust (as I would imagine I would be in their situation). They allow us into their space.

One girl who stays in my mind for days after our visits greeted me last time with one of those genuine, honest hugs that happy children give. We are buddies. God emanates from her. He works through her as she translates for others near her and encourages them to take part in activities when they shy away at first.

I see God in the children's unguarded play. I am drawn to spend more time with them, to see what God wants to show me through them. God speaks to all those who visit them, encouraging us to use our talents for them, including to callings we haven't heard before.

I look forward to each Sunday at church even more, with anticipation that I will see my new friends there.

Thank you Sandy for bringing them to us!

No comments: