Sunday, February 22, 2009

Love. Listen. Act.


"Love"
By: Claire B.


“What if I could speak all languages of humans and of angels? If I did not love others, I would be nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging symbol. What if I could prophesy and understand all secrets and knowledge? And what if I had faith that moved mountains? I would be nothing without loving others. What if I gave away all that I owed and let myself be burned alive? I would gain nothing unless I loved others.”
In 1st Corinthians chapter 13, Paul stresses the importance of God’s gift of love. He says the ability to move mountains, or the willingness to sacrifice means nothing without sharing his love with the rest of world. Paul emphasizes that love gives purpose and life to a person and everything that he or she does.
When God asked Noah to help him, he and his sons, out of genuine love, built an ark with their bare hands. After Noah built the ark, he adopted one pair of each animal, and shepherded them for forty days and forty nights until the flood passed and the earth was reborn. Noah’s faith enabled him to accomplish this great task, responding to God’s directive call through this great act of love.
Like Noah, we are presented, in our daily lives, with opportunities to act out of love. Responding to the small needs, like participating in youth mission trips, giving clothing or food to the underprivileged, or just smiling at someone as you pass them can all be considered acts of love. The part of Noah’s story that we all know tells us nothing of his life as a young man. As I reflect on his story, I wonder if he had or took advantage of opportunities that God put before him to respond in smaller ways.
Personally, I see small acts of love in my life, at church, at school, and among friends. When I think of friends, I think of Avery, who sacrifices personal time in order to volunteer with African refugees, teaching them how to read, write, and provide them with clothing, along with a friendship. On the youth’s last mission trip to West Virginia, the assignment for my work group was to replace a floor in a home. The owner, Lawrence, lived alone, in a very small house in an impoverished area. The purpose of this mission was to replace his floor. Tools and supplies were gathered, Mr. Pearce patiently guided us through the project, yet no planning or preparation focused on the most meaningful aspect of this project for me. I still remember the stories Lawrence told on the shaded porch and the laughter we shared that week.
God challenges us to show love to our family, friends, neighbors, and strangers. We should always be watchful, listening for Gods voice in the course of our daily lives. Like Noah, we may one day be asked to build an ark.

Questions to Ponder from Lanecia:
1. How have you experienced the extraordinary love of God in small and big ways?
2. Is God inviting you to build an ark, to make the world a better place? How?

No comments: